Monday, August 25, 2008

Pepper Sauce Taste Off, market edition

a roundup of homemade sauce found at roadside stands/open air markets don't be fooled by the kind smile of the woman at this well-maintained stand (on Warren Street, about two blocks north of the East Main Road, Tunapuna - she also sells the areas sweetest mangoes, hands down) - the yellow sauce is the hottest I've ever had. Hot hot hot, burned through my food, my tongue, my lips - I drank water, milk, iced tea and chewed on ice chips for 15 minutes before it faded. HOT. I can't comment on the flavor or anything else, just HOT. Score: 8.75 ('cause I like that)

this stand outside the main market on Hollis Ave in Arima sells the closest thing to perfect yellow pepper sauce I've found. If I was going to be picky, and I can since this is my blog, the color's a little orange (probably pumpkin), and there could be more floaty bits of pepper inside. But the flavor's excellent, it's hot as sin without destroying the food, and it has a nice linger that burns just enough (i.e., doesn't force you to drown yourself under the kitchen tap). Good stuff, Score: 9

No comments: